List:       openjdk-openjfx-dev
Subject:    Re: [12] RFR: JDK-8209966: Update minimum boot JDK to 11
From:       Johan Vos <johan.vos () gluonhq ! com>
Date:       2018-09-27 6:52:04

Historically, there was a no-go for default interface methods in the 8-tree
a long time ago, as those would break the android port (thanks Stephen
Northover for imposing that).
Hence, I was happy with the restrictions not to use new language features.
Android is a special case though, as that is the only environment I know
about where the JavaFX applications (and jars) are not running on
controllable JRE's. If JavaFX applications are packaged and bundled with
JRE's, I don't see reasons why moving to new JDK versions can be a problem.

However, if there are more cases like Android, where the developer doesn't
control the version at runtime, we have to consider being more conservative=
.

- Johan

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 2:49 AM Nir Lisker <nlisker@gmail.com> wrote:

> > but wouldn't go out of our way to stop it from running on JDK N-2
> > unless/until there was a feature or bug fix that required something fro=
> > JDK N-1.
> >

> I would be surprised if there will be a release without a language change=
,
> as I don't recall any release without one, and Amber (and friends) keeps
> providing.
> Now, we can discuss what is "required". Java 11 added 'var' for Lambdas. =
Is