List:       openjdk-openjfx-dev
Subject:    Re: native libs in modules
From:       Kevin Rushforth <kevin.rushforth () oracle ! com>
Date:       2018-04-30 23:07:26

The native libraries are quite large -- especially jfxwebkit -- and it
does seem better to have per-platform jar files, at least for the native
libraries. The following modules could be platform-independent since
they have no natives:

javafx.base
javafx.controls
javafx.fxml
javafx.swing

We would just need to test that the set of modular jar files for each
platform are the same, and then pick one (Linux?) to use for generating
the platform-independent jar files.

The following modules have native libraries:

javafx.graphics (*)
javafx.media (*)
javafx.web

(*) - also has some differences in the set of class files that are
included depending on the platform

So per-platform versions of the above would be needed to accommodate the
different native libraries.

If it would help, the .class files could be always included for all
platforms, but there would be some additional effort to make this work.
Also, it might be just as easy to have the class files and the natives
in one downloaded jar file per platform, since at least the natives need
to be platform-independent. I'm far from a maven expert, though, so I
don't really know for sure which path is easier.

-- Kevin