List:       openjdk-openjfx-dev
Subject:    (Swallowed) Nullpointer access in TextFormatter.updateValue
From:       Jens Auer <Jens.Auer () h-d-gmbh ! de>
Date:       2017-03-22 15:36:42

Hi,

I am using a TextField with a TextFormatter constructed with a predicate:
private TextFormatter.Change validateText(TextFormatter.Change c) { ... }
this.textInput.setTextFormatter(new TextFormatter<>(this::validateText));

While debugging some other problem I realized that the Debugger stops with a \
Nullpointer access in TextFormatter.updateValue:  void updateValue(String text) {
        if (!value.isBound()) {
            try {
                V v = valueConverter.fromString(text);
                setValue(v);
            } catch (Exception e) {
                updateText(); // Set the text with the latest value
            }
        }
    }

The member valueConverter may not be initialized in the constructor and thus can be \
null. Even though the exception is caught and swallowed, I would consider this an \
issue.

Cheers,
Jens

Jens Auer