List:       openjdk-openjfx-dev
Subject:    Re: Text differences between OSes
From:       Tom Eugelink <tbee () tbee ! org>
Date:       2015-12-27 10:54:03

Right. Nevermind. That's the drawback of CSS; on Debian the font was not =
correctly loaded, but there was no error. Both render at 11.0 now.

Tom

On 27-12-2015 09:48, Tom Eugelink wrote:
> The article behind the link says that specifying the size in px should =
solve it, I just retried that, but unfortunately specifying the font size=
 in any unit, pt, cm, px, results in different values on either OS.

> I've also tried replacing Text with Label and there a 24pt text is rend=
ered as 19.0 or 21.0. Cleaner numbers.
> A 24px text as either 14.0 or 16.0, both exactly 2.0 width difference.
> So 12px is rendered as expected as 7.0 and 8.0, exactly 1.0 difference;=
 half the size, half of the difference. Seems to indicate a scaling.
> But 18px as 11.0 and 12.0, I had expected 1.5 difference if it were a s=
cale.

> On 26-12-2015 23:24, Herv=C3=A9 Girod wrote:
>> In my memory the point size in Unix systems and Windows do not conside=
r the same default screen density. See this for example: http://www.rfwil=
mut.clara.net/about/fonts.html

>> Herv=C3=A9
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Dec 26, 2015, at 23:05, Tom Eugelink <tbee@tbee.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Maybe someone can help me get going on this: my 'unit' tests on some =
of the component in JFXtras fail when run on different operating systems;=
 right now I'm running Debian next to Windows and rending the same Text n=
ode has different results: on Windows it is 847 pixels wide, on Linux it =
is 1083 pixels.

>>> So I suspected that a different default font was the cause, so I setu=
p Google Roboto on both systems, but even then I have 1786 vs 2000 pixels=
 (13.64 vs 15.26 for a single "0" with Roboto Medium on font-size 24). Wh=
at else besides the font can cause this difference?