List:       openjdk-openjfx-dev
Subject:    Re: Constant resetting to initial-state when adding/remove styleclasses
From:       David Grieve <david.grieve () oracle ! com>
Date:       2015-12-22 13:51:44

Adding/removing style-classes is simply bad practice. And not just in
JavaFX. It is better to use pseudo-class state.

When the style-class changes, the set of styles that match a node can,
and is very likely to, change. The css implementation 're-applies' css
to the node and its children by finding the new set of matching styles,
resetting all properties that were set by css to their defaults, and
then setting the properties according to the new set of matching styles.
With pseudo-class state, the only thing that happens is the set of
styles that match the pseudo-class state are applied. Much less overhead.

That said, there are plenty of places where the css implementation could
be better optimized. This use-case is certainly one of them.