List:       openjdk-openjfx-dev
Subject:    Fwd: Wayland support for JavaFX
From:       Erik De Rijcke <derijcke.erik () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-01-29 21:35:44

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Erik De Rijcke <derijcke.erik@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 10:35 PM
Subject: Re: Wayland support for JavaFX
To: David Hill <David.Hill@oracle.com>

I'll probably test it on the Weston (the Wayland reference compositor) and
secretly also on my own compositor both running on my PC hardware. The
thing is, Wayland clients don't really care what the hardware supports. The
*real* egl context is set up in the compositor and with a little mesa
trickery, is made available to the client. (see
http://ppaalanen.blogspot.be/2012/03/what-does-egl-do-in-wayland-stack.html
). So the client doesn't need to know how to setup an egl context. If egl
is unavailable or undesired, the client can/should be able to fall back to
software rendering, which is simply done by filling a buffer with pixels
and asking the compositor to dislay it.

I'm having a look at the EGL->Framebuffer and Software -> Framebuffer and
at first glance seems like a very easy thing to port to Wayland (that is,
easy as easy goes in software development...).  I'm not quite sure what you
mean with the 'own virtual windows'. It sounds a bit like a use case for
wayland's subsurface (
http://ppaalanen.blogspot.be/2013/11/sub-surfaces-now.html ) which afaik
does exactly that.

Erik