List:       openjdk-openjfx-dev
Subject:    Re: Why do the Linux packages go into /opt?
From:       Danno Ferrin <danno.ferrin () oracle ! com>
Date:       2015-01-27 21:01:50

I'm not sure why it goes into /opt (that decision predates my tenure), but since the \
JRE is included it may be considered a "large software package" unsuitable for the \
/usr directory, and since it is an "add-on application software packages" opt seems \
to be a sensible place.  It may also be a solaris thing that leaked into the thought \
process.  These packages also were designed to be launched from within a desktop \
shell, so being on the path was less of an issue.

For 8u40 and earlier it is in fact hard coded in the generation of the supporting \
files for RPM and DEBs.  Based on my reading that could be made configurable, at \
least at time of packaging.  If you submitted a JIRA we could get that in for 8u60, \
but the new feature/new bug window for 8u40 is mostly closed.  However the structure \
underneath the package is a larger item to mess around with, so it would merely be a \
pointer to a different directory to install it in as opposed to placing bits widely \
across the system.

Perhaps a step in the package that adds a link to /usr/bin in the control file or \
install scripts may be a better solution.