List:       openjdk-openjfx-dev
Subject:    Re: CNET: Google begins barring browser plug-ins from Chrome
From:       Joe McGlynn <joe.mcglynn () oracle ! com>
Date:       2013-09-29 14:17:52

Applets, whether old-school applets that are deployed with an HTML tag or modern JNLP \
applets do require the plugin.

Web Start applications (JWS), which are deployed using JNLP but run outside of the \
browser, do not require the plug-in.  They are usually launched using mime type \
associations to fire up javaws.  There is one mechanism that can be used to launch \
Web Start applications automatically using a JS call but that depends on the native \
Deployment Toolkit plugin, so if Google proceeds with their plans and if Oracle does \
nothing that would also be affected.

In both JNLP and tag-style applets, and JWS apps the deployment code takes care of \
downloading the application artifacts (JARs, DLLs, etc), both initially and if they \
have changed from what is in the Java app cache (e.g. javaws -viewer).