List:       openjdk-openjfx-dev
Subject:    LCD text in Canvas
From:       james.graham () oracle ! com (Jim Graham)
Date:       2012-12-21 0:43:18

One issue with canvas is that LCD text needs to be rendered when the
device space transform is known.  With Canvas we know what the pixel
space is of the backing raster, but the transform that is applied when
we render the backing raster to the screen (which is probably identity
in many common cases) can wreak havoc with the sub-pixel work we did on
the text.  If we provided a control for it on GraphicsContext then you'd
have to commit to not involving the canvas in any transforms except for
integer translations.

Also, I'd have to think about how this would be affected by HiDPI as
well.  The typical Apple retina screen would be a simple 2x scale so the
same integer translate restriction would still work fine, but I haven't
delved too deep into what scaling options Windows 8 offers...

			...jim