List:       openjdk-openjfx-dev
Subject:    JavaFX Maven Plugin
From:       zonski () gmail ! com (Daniel Zwolenski)
Date:       2012-11-28 12:48:58

I have the Maven plugin assembling an 'exploded' distro for windows (what I
think the JFX tools calls an 'image') as the pre-step to building an MSI
with WiX.

My exploded bundle looks like:

  .\WinLauncher.exe (pulled from %java_home%/ant-javafx.jar at build time)
  .\app (contains all my jar files)
  .\app\package.cfg (text file with a "mainjar" referencing my main
executable jar in app dir)
  .\runtime\jre  (full copy of %JAVA_HOME% at build time)

When I run WinLauncher.exe I get a dialog saying "no main class" and the
title of the dialog is "Expected to find com.javafx.main.MainClass".

So I'm guessing the launcher is hardcoded to look for the JavaFX
pre-launcher and not the one specified in the manifest of the main
executable JAR? I was hoping to avoid the pre-launcher in my assembly (just
adds more mess). I'm assuming there's no way to make the Launcher just run
my JAR without the pre-launcher, nice and simple like?

Any reason why the pre-launcher is needed at all if the JRE is co-bundled.
I thought the job of the pre-launcher was to make sure you had the right
JRE and JFX, etc, which seems somewhat unnecessary when you have a
co-bundled JRE. Does it do anything else?

Another question, does the native bundle have to work off a single
"uber-jar" or can I have all my individual JARs sitting in the "app"
directory outside of my main app jar? I very much hope it is the latter.
Where does the app get it's classpath from (unfortunately no decompiler for
WinLauncher.exe so I'm flying blind on some of this).

And since I'm asking, the JFX packager looks to filter files when it copies
the JRE into the bundle (I think that's what the "Rule" thing is doing
anyway). Is this just to save space or for some other reason? I can't see
any real pattern to the choice of files being excluded, is there one?

I can probably work all of the above out through continual trial and error,
etc, but if anyone has time to throw some insight my way I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Dan