List:       openjdk-openjfx-dev
Subject:    How does JFX work get prioritised?
From:       phidias51 () gmail ! com (Mark Fortner)
Date:       2012-10-31 15:00:31

As I recall, the JCP was created to solve just these types of community
engagement problems.  Anyone can join the JSR's expert panel so you end up
with input from individual contributors and corporations.  I think when I
brought that up earlier, Richard said that at some point (perhaps after
Java 8) JavaFX will have its own JSR.

If you want story point support there's a plugin for JIRA called
Greenhopper (http://www.atlassian.com/software/greenhopper/overview) that
does the trick.  But from what I've seen so far, the Oracle SDLC is not
agile, and not likely to become moreso any time soon.

The whole "squeaky wheel" approach is really unworkable for a number of
reasons:

   - Lack of transparency (both for the community and for the development
   team)
   - If Nicolas (or anyone else who's made promises) gets run over by a
   bus, then all of his promises go with him.

Depending on the culture of open source projects, one of the approaches
that HAS worked in the past involves commitment from both ends of the
equation.  The person reporting the bug or feature request provides a patch
that fixes the problem and a unit test that demonstrates the problem and
demonstrates the fix.  Those kinds of issues get a higher priority because
they are usually quicker to fix.  In this particular case, SQE could give
feedback to the person providing the patch and unit test, in case there's
some corner case that didn't get coverage.  The person providing the patch
and SQE would run the entire test suite to make sure that no regressions
were introduced.  If everything looks ok, the patch and unit test are
committed, and you see the result in the nightly build.

In terms of default priorities:

   - I would hope that any bug that casts doubt on the future viability of
   desktop java (like crashes, security issues and webstart issues) gets the
   highest priority.
   - Any issue where the the component doesn't meet the minimum standard
   set by Swing should also be prioritized high (since this would determine
   whether Swing developers bother switching in the first place).  If you want
   Swing developers to switch, you've got to exceed the capabilities of Swing
   without adding to the workload.
   - Any issue that effects the ease of development (i.e.
   creating/building/deploying JavaFX projects) should get a similar priority
   since it too would determine the likelihood of enterprise developers
   switching to JavaFX.
   - Any nice to have features (like 3D support) would get a lower priority.

But that's just my two cents worth.

Cheers,

Mark