List:       openjdk-openjfx-dev
Subject:    A DOM for JavaFX (Re: High performance text component)
From:       zonski () gmail ! com (Daniel Zwolenski)
Date:       2012-08-31 0:46:21

I think maybe the topic here should change, this sounds huge to me. Some
big things I like about this, but some bigger concerns.

First reaction is why do we have two things a "Scene Graph" and a "DOM",
why not just one. Also "laying out" will inevitably creep in here for 'rich
text' if you go down this road (see 'overflow: hidden' comment below,
what's next, 'padding', 'height', or shudder 'position', 'float', etc).

Your comment:
> which might make sense in some document heavy scenarios

A webapp (even the richest of rich) is a 'document heavy scenario', i.e.
all things can be seen in this category, where's the line (lessons from the
web would say there isn't one).

I think I need to digest a little more though, this feels like a
fundamental change in the way things could/should be done.