List:       openjdk-openjfx-dev
Subject:    State of the Release (2.1)
From:       richard.bair () oracle ! com (Richard Bair)
Date:       2012-02-29 23:21:42

Hi Everybody!

Today we hit another milestone along the way to the 2.1 release. Yesterday we \
integrated the various forests (graphics, controls, media, deploy) into master and \
today the 2.1 b15 release is either already out or being built. The sources for the \
week have already been pushed into the 2.1 open jfx repo. With this build we've \
started "high resistance" (well, more like medium resistance), where any \
documentation fixes and tests can be added as you like, but all bug fixes (and \
features) have to go through "bug court", which we hold pretty regularly (first one \
in a day or two). At bug court the developer has to make a case for why the bug ought \
to go into 2.1, mention the risks, mitigating factors, etc. Which is all to say we're \
on target for our 2.1 release sometime in April.

If you look at the OpenJFX 2.1 Dashboard[1] (hopefully you all can see that!) you \
will notice that we have 124 issues still pending for this release, and that there \
have been 604 issues filed and 891 resolved in 2.1 thus far. Although I expect we \
will see at least half of these 124 pending issues fixed in 2.1, some of these issues \
will undoubtedly be postponed as optimistic scheduling yields to an ever shrinking \
days remaining :-).

Some time in late March we'll enter "Intergalactic High Resistance" as Steve might \
say :-), which is where fixes only go in that are crucial for the release, everything \
else going into 2.2.

Because we've entered high resistance and not all teams have bugs for 2.1 (SceneGraph \
for example has only 4[2]), we're also opening up the 2.2 repos. We will refrain from \
major refactoring in those repos until 2.1 is finished (to avoid merge headaches), \
but otherwise the repos are open for business, including feature work going into 2.2.

With 2.2 we're going to create 3 different forests: master, controls, and graphics. \
As with the 2.1 master, the 2.2 master will be updated generally once a week. However \
the controls and graphics 2.2 forests will eventually be "live" with all real \
development hitting those forests immediately. For controls this is likely to happen \
before graphics, since there remain a substantial amount of code to open source that \
the graphics team works on, and avoiding build breakage would caution us to only push \
fixes out as quickly as the weekly binary plugs are provided.

Finally, with b15 the javafx Charts package is now open source! You can check out the \
sources in the usual place. The name of the project is javafx-ui-charts.

Thanks!
Richard

[1] http://javafx-jira.kenai.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa?selectPageId=10751

[2] http://javafx-jira.kenai.com/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&reset=true&jqlQu \
ery=project+%3D+RT+AND+issuetype+not+in+%28Sub-task%29+AND+status+%21%3D+New+AND+resol \
ution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%222.1%22+AND+component+%3D+Scenegraph+ORDER+BY+key+DESC