List:       openjdk-nio-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: 8229887: ZIP FS cannot replace an entry in a that was added via the STORED method
From:       Martin Buchholz <martinrb () google ! com>
Date:       2019-08-24 22:54:59

On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 1:31 AM Alan Bateman <Alan.Bateman@oracle.com>
wrote:

> On 22/08/2019 16:49, Lance Andersen wrote:
> > Hi Martin,
> >
> > Yes there is additional work to do both WRT documentation and testing.
> >  We will continue to improve the documentation  and the test coverage
> > as we move forward.
> >
> Martin - are there folks in Google using zipfs in interesting ways that
> could be turned into tests? One long standing need, shared with the
> java.util.zip implementation, is automated interop testing with other
> zip tools where the spec might be interpreted differently (time stamps
> and zip64 are two areas where these type of issues can bite).

Zip implementations in the JDK:
ZipInputStream/ZipOutputStream
ZipFile
zipfs
libjli/parse_manifest.c
... and probably more

We don't encourage use of zipfs at Google, but people will use it when
convenient.
If all you want to do is replace a single entry in a zip file, it's hard to
beat zipfs for convenience.
It's hard work to write a program that makes small edits to a zip file
while leaving it mostly intact.
The recent undocumented switch of zipfs from STORED to DEFLATED is not nice
to users.

My test test/jdk/java/util/zip/EntryCount64k.java compares 3 different ways
to read a zip file, but zipfs is not one of them :-( . I'd  also like it to
try unzip or zipinfo if they appear to be installed on the system.