List:       openjdk-nio-dev
Subject:    Re: Unix domain sockets (UDS, AF_UNIX) in System.inheritedChannel() and elsewhere in Java
From:       Chris Hegarty <chris.hegarty () oracle ! com>
Date:       2019-08-19 10:47:14

Franta,

> On 19 Aug 2019, at 09:34, František Kučera <franta-java@frantovo.cz> wrote:

> can anyone tell me how to continue? I can change the code (the patch was only \
> proof-of-concept, fast hack) or change the design (e.g. creating a new module \
> instead of patching existing classes) but before I spend more time with this task, \
> I need to know, whether there is interest to have AF_UNIX (AF_LOCAL) support in the \
> OpenJDK (see the first e-mail in this thread for what I mean by "support").

From my perspective, it would be reasonable to continue to investigate
the possibility of supporting Unix domain sockets in the JDK. Such a
feature would likely need a JEP [1].

If I'm not mistaken, then this is your first contribution to OpenJDK
( it's a pretty significant/large one to start with! ). You will need
to find a sponsor ( a committer on the JDK project ), that is both
motivated to help you drive the design and implementation, as well as
having the time available to do so ( I, unfortunately, do not ).

While this feature does, on the face of it, seem reasonable, in terms of
priority, it does not bubble up the list of other things that we want to
do, like; providing support for the newer URI/IRI, improved IPv6-only
support, RDMA Network Sockets, etc.

-Chris.

[1] https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/0=