List:       openjdk-net-dev
Subject:    New Draft JEP: Support HTTP/3 in the HttpClient
From:       Daniel Fuchs <daniel.fuchs () oracle ! com>
Date:       2024-05-14 18:26:21

Hi,

With HTTP/3 having reached the state of Proposed Standard,
we propose to update the HttpClient provided by the java.net.http
module [1] to additionally support the HTTP/3 protocol.

HTTP/3 is an evolution of HTTP/2 based on the Quic transport,
which uses components from TLSv1.3 to be secure by default.
The HttpClient API is protocol agnostic, already supports HTTP/1.1 and
HTTP/2, and is designed to support future versions of the protocol with
minimal changes.

At this time we do not plan to offer a public API for Quic, nor for
the possible changes that would be required to implement Quic over
the JDK implementation of TLS 1.3. This could be the object of a
future JEP.

More details can be found on the draft JEP page [2] or the
corresponding JBS issue [3]

best regards,

-- daniel

[1]