List:       openjdk-nashorn-dev
Subject:    Re: Any way to support expando props on Java objects?
From:       Mike Hearn <mike () plan99 ! net>
Date:       2018-03-20 14:25:10

Hi Sundar,

Thanks for the pointer. Dynalink does indeed look like the right tool,
albeit quite a lot of work for a small project. Maybe I'll experiment if I
have time. I wonder if you've looked at a way to integrate Dynalink with
Graal/Truffle as it seems they have quite similar concepts of a high level
object model with get/set "messages" etc. It'd be nice if the two
mechanisms were compatible.

"Expando" is Internet Explorer terminology for a natively implemented
object that has extra properties set on it from JS. I think to implement
expandos with this scheme, I'd need to write a custom linker that maintains
an IdentityHashMap<Object, HashMap<String, Object>> and then catches the
right exception in handling property sets from the next linker in the
chain. If the bean linker can't handle the set because there's no such
property, I'd insert the property into the hashmaps. I'd also check those
first before delegating to the bean linker when handling gets. That could
be quite some fancy method handle logic!