List:       openjdk-nashorn-dev
Subject:    Call for Speakers -- 2016 JVM Language Summit
From:       Dan Smith <daniel.smith () oracle ! com>
Date:       2016-04-13 18:16:24

CALL FOR SPEAKERS -- JVM LANGUAGE SUMMIT, AUGUST 2016

We are pleased to announce the 2016 JVM Language Summit to be held at =
Oracle's Santa Clara campus on August 1-3, 2016. Registration is now =
open for speaker submissions and will remain open through May 23, 2016. =
There is no registration fee for speakers.

A limited number of early registration slots are also available for =
regular attendees.

The JVM Language Summit is an open technical collaboration among =
language designers, compiler writers, tool builders, runtime engineers, =
and VM architects. We will share our experiences as creators of both the =
JVM and programming languages for the JVM. We also welcome non-JVM =
developers of similar technologies to attend or speak on their runtime, =
VM, or language of choice.

Presentations will be recorded and made available to the public.

This event is being organized by language and JVM engineers -- no =
marketers involved! So bring your slide rules and be prepared for some =
seriously geeky discussions.

Format

The summit is held in a single classroom-style room to support direct =
communication between participants. About 100-120 attendees are =
expected.

The schedule consists of a single track of traditional presentations =
(about 7 each day) interspersed with less-formal multitrack "workshop" =
discussion groups (2-3 each day) and, possibly, impromptu "lightning =
talks."

Workshops will be less structured than in the past, favoring an open =
discussion format with only a small amount of prepared material. Thus, =
rather than collecting workshop abstracts from speakers, we're asking =
each registrant to suggest a few topics of interest. After choosing the =
most popular topics, we'll ask some registrants if they'd like to act as =
discussion leaders.

Instructions for Speaker Registration

If you'd like to give a presentation, please register as a Speaker and =
include a detailed abstract. Speaker registration will remain open =
through May 23. There is no fee. See below for help preparing your =
abstract and talk. You will be notified about whether your proposal has =
been accepted; if not, you will be able to register as a regular =
attendee.

For a successful speaker submission, please note the following:

- All talks should be deeply technical, given by designers and =
implementors to designers and implementors. We all speak bytecode here!

- Each talk, we hope and expect, will inform the audience, in detail, =
about the state of the art of language design or implementation on the =
JVM, or will explore the present and future capabilities of the JVM =
itself. (Some will do so indirectly by discussing non-JVM technologies.)

- Know your audience: attendees may not be likely to ever use your =
specific language or tool, but could learn something from your =
interactions with the JVM. A broad goal of the summit is to inspire us =
to work together on JVM-based technologies that enable a rich ecosystem =
at higher layers.

To register:
register.jvmlangsummit.com

For further information: