List:       openjdk-nashorn-dev
Subject:    Re: Rhino shell compatibility
From:       "David P. Caldwell" <david () code ! davidpcaldwell ! com>
Date:       2014-05-14 1:15:15

I guess my view is that since mozilla_compat.js is intended to ease
transition, the JavaAdapter cover, for example, should also provide
the less strict form; this wouldn't harm the preferred Java.extend
target for migration, which could continue to use the stricter form.

Similarly, readFile and readUrl wouldn't be hard to implement; I
implemented each of them (poorly, but sufficiently) in perhaps 5-7
lines of code.

Maybe there are sound reasons to exclude these (particularly if there
are technical reasons I don't understand that would make the
JavaAdapter defaults difficult), but my view would be, why not provide
the smoothest possible glide path when providing a compatibility layer
that is explicitly for that purpose?

-- David P. Caldwell
http://www.davidpcaldwell.com/