List:       openjdk-mlvm-dev
Subject:    Re: Number of Apps per JVM
From:       Mark Roos <mroos () roos ! com>
Date:       2014-01-13 18:13:00

--=_alternative 0063DDCE88257C5F_=

Both the Waratek and IBM multi Tenant JVMs demonstrate that the options of
one app per jvm
or many apps per jvm can be efficient and isolated.  But I believe that
both of these require that
objects be serialized in order to be sent between apps.  My question was
about avoiding the cost
of this serialization.

My use case is one of the parallelization of a operation across several
cores. It would be convenient
to split the tasks to each core while enforcing cross core immutable state
but allowing in core
mutable state.  Kilim approaches this by controlling the references
between objects such that one
can transfer an object to another sandbox by ensuring that the objects are
only referenced via the
roots of the sandbox ( thus making them invisible within other sandboxes).
 One could think of
this as relinking a set of objects.  Squeak ( a Smalltalk ) had the
concept of image segments which
would be like a GC/heap region.  These could be connected and disconnected
via a single reference.
All of these seem to require an object structure designed to support this.
  What I was wondering
is if anyone as seen an alternative approach which would not need to know
which objects may need
to be moved.

Think of this as an Actor model where objects can be passed as parts of
messages

thx
mark
--=_alternative 0063DDCE88257C5F_=

demonstrate that the options of one app per jvm</font>
and isolated. &nbsp;But I believe that both of these require that</font>
sent between apps. &nbsp;My question was about avoiding the cost </font>
of a operation across several cores. It would be convenient</font>
enforcing cross core immutable state but allowing in core</font>
this by controlling the references between objects such that one</font>
by ensuring that the objects are only referenced via the</font>
invisible within other sandboxes). &nbsp;One could think of</font>
&nbsp;Squeak ( a Smalltalk ) had the concept of image segments which</font>
could be connected and disconnected via a single reference.</font>
structure designed to support this. &nbsp; What I was wondering</font>
approach which would not need to know which objects may need</font>
objects can be passed as parts of messages</font>
--=_alternative 0063DDCE88257C5F_=--