List:       openjdk-mlvm-dev
Subject:    Bound MethodHandle at runtime
From:       sebastian.sickelmann () gmx ! de (Sebastian Sickelmann)
Date:       2011-07-21 3:51:07

Hi,

first of all. Your Job at invokedynamic is really awesome. I have started a project \
called "mockinject" at java.net a few year ago that need to hook inside method calls \
and invokedynamic will make it really easy to do it in jdk7. I got some problem with \
the actual implementation of mockinject some time ago, but i want to restart the \
project with invokedymic.

mockinject does a lot of byte-code-fiddeling and this is really bug intensive.
So i decided to start another project "jvmdebug" that emulates the real \
byte-code-instruction-execution with simulation-code which has \
debug-information-pointers to asm-dumps of the real-class. My favorite IDE detects \
the debug-information shows the "linked" asm-dump and so it looks like you are \
debugging the byte-code. i use local variables to show the user of jvmdebug the \
actual state of the stack etc. .

And here is my question: Is there a way to identify the actually bound method-handle \
that will be used by an invokedynamic call? It would be really usefull for the user \
of jvmdebug to get this information before executing the invokedynamic instruction.

Kind regards
Sebastian