List:       openjdk-mlvm-dev
Subject:    Performance for Lookup conversion of a reflection setter/getter API
From:       herve.girod () gmail ! com (Herve Girod)
Date:       2011-07-10 22:18:29

Hello,

I'm following this mailing list for a while now, and I'm really amazed by
what this new API can do. However, until recently, I was convinced it would
only be useful for scripting languages ("only" is not the right word here of
course). But I discovered that it seemed to be very simple to use it just
for having a more efficient access to fields and methods normally accessed
by reflection.

I have a project where I make very heavy use of reflection, mainly by using
getters and setters on fields. I'm wondering if (or how) using Lookup +
MethodHandles improve performance for this use case? As it seems very simple
to use in this case, it seems to me that it can be worth it.

Herve