List:       openjdk-macosx-port-dev
Subject:    Heads up : Dissolving the macOS Port project
From:       Philip Race <philip.race () oracle ! com>
Date:       2020-01-09 18:48:16

Hi,

The macOS port project was one of the earlier OpenJDK porting projects and
arguably ran to completion around the time Oracle started shipping 7u4
in 2012.

We've kept it around partly as a mailing list for macos issues and
partly because
of inertia but it really isn't needed anymore.

One of the bigger things happening on macos - the Metal rendering pipeline -
has its own Project Lanai.

Issues such as those with macOS catalina are being handled by component
teams
on their mailing lists and emails to this list are all probably better
directed to
another list.

Also Mike Swingler, the lead for the project is no longer at Apple, so
the project
is perhaps without a leader - at least without one that has the same
level of involvement

So as provided for in the OpenJDK bylaws I intend to propose a CFV to
dissolve the project.
The lead of the sponsoring Porters Group is on board with this.

Are there comments or concerns from committers to this project ?

-phil.