List:       openjdk-macosx-port-dev
Subject:    Re: Java-based app bundle with minimum os version simply crashes on machine with lower os version
From:       Robert_Krüger <krueger () lesspain ! de>
Date:       2016-04-11 5:28:39

On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 4:52 PM, Scott Palmer <swpalmer@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 9, 2016, at 9:35 AM, Michael Hall <mik3hall@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> On Apr 8, 2016, at 2:42 AM, Robert Krüger <krueger@lesspain.de> wrote:
> >
> >> I wanted to require a minimum os version for our app bundle and was
> >> disappointed to realize that when I use the LSMinimumSystemVersion key
> for
> >> that in Info.plist that the behaviour of the application when started
> on an
> >> OS with a lower version is simply to crash
> >
> > Wouldn't this be all OS and nothing to do with java?
> >
> > Michael Hall
>
> I think it would be part of the launcher binary that is in the app bundle.

I would think so and I would have expected something like a system dialog
displaying a message like "this application needs at least OS 10.9.0 to
run, exiting.." and then the startup being aborted. Does anyone know if
that's a bug or if it's just a case of nobody having taken the time to
write code for that system dialog and having put an assert in there instead?