List:       openjdk-macosx-port-dev
Subject:    HiDPI DragImages seem to be impossible
From:       Hendrik Schreiber <hs () tagtraum ! com>
Date:       2014-01-24 15:45:48

Hey...

On OS X it is possible to pass a dragImage to =
java.awt.dnd.DragSource#startDrag(...), which is then shown during the =
drag operation.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to pass HiDPI images.

Even when passing a VolatileImage, which (see other thread) apparently =
allows to render HiDPI components, a low quality version is used during =
the drag operation.

I assume this will all be addressed when the rest of the Retina/HiDPI =
support is put into place. However, I just wanted to make you aware of =
this, as I assume it's an obscure corner of the whole HiDPI stuff... It =
would be nice to see explicit HiDPI support here, too.

This could be done via MultiResolutionImages=97or probably even nicer=97by=
 simply accepting Icons in the startDrag(...) method, as that's what one =
gets from the TransferHandler anyway. And Icons, being an interface, can =
be easily used to paint in different resolutions (if we know, what =
resolution to produce, different issue).

Cheers,

-hendrik=