List:       openjdk-macosx-port-dev
Subject:    Re: Building JDK7 on OS X 10.6.8
From:       Mike Swingler <swingler () apple ! com>
Date:       2013-08-31 18:00:34

On Aug 31, 2013, at 8:30 AM, Andrew ``Bass'' Shcheglov <andrewbass@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've created a patch which enables building OpenJDK 1.7 on Mac OS X
> 10.6.8. So far, I've got AWT and JFC/Swing applications successfully
> running on Snow Leopard. The patch is currently available here:
> <https://github.com/hgomez/obuildfactory/blob/master/openjdk7/macosx/patches/native-sun-osx106.patch>.
>
> The original discussion is here:
> <https://github.com/hgomez/obuildfactory/issues/3>.
>
> 4 Objective-C files are affected:
>
> * in sun/awt/AWTView.m, 10.7+ code is simply reimplemented with
> 10.6-only API

Probably not important on 10.6, since it does not support HiDPI/Retina.

> * in sun/awt/CGraphicsDevice.m, 10.7+ code is simply stripped out: as
> far as I understand, it's not that important.

This breaks full screen which takes over the whole display and resets it in a \
specific mode. Might not be a big deal to you.

> * in sun/java2d/opengl/CGLLayer.m, an UnsupportedOperationException is
> thrown from the native code. I have no idea what the correct 10.6
> replacement should be.

Doesn't matter, because 10.6 doesn't support HiDPI/Retina.

> * finally, sun/osxapp/ThreadUtilities.h features a minor 10.6-specific
> correction.

A fine correction.

> The decision of which code branch to include at compile time is based on
> the __ENVIRONMENT_MAC_OS_X_VERSION_MIN_REQUIRED__ preprocessor macro.
>
> I'm asking Objective-C experts who read this list to review the patch
> and propose any corrections/enhancements. Any feedback is appreciated.
>
> Also, once the patch looks good to you, would it be possible to merge it
> into the main code tree?

These changes on their own, do not appear to damage the OpenJDK that is built on 10.7 \
or higher. However, an OpenJDK build on 10.6 would not be acceptable for including in \
a product that is expected to run on 10.7 or higher, since it would be missing these \
code chunks that were excised.

If these changes are accepted, there is no guarantee that future development work (in \
OpenJDK 8 and beyond) will not require additional workarounds.

Regards,
Mike Swingler
Apple Inc.