List:       openjdk-lambda-dev
Subject:    Syntax for calling super
From:       where_1ts () yahoo ! com (Mr Some One)
Date:       2012-09-27 12:09:48

Hi,

I just wanted to post on this subject and add a plus one to David Holmes suggestion \
of using the Interface::method() syntax. I see this as  having two up sides.

One it removes any ambiguity in regards to inner classes.
Two it is the same syntax that C++ uses for referencing parent methods so has a \
familiar precedence.

Also
 I don't see how it could get confused with method references because of
the differentiation provided by the presence of the parenthesise.

Reference: Interface::method
Call: Interface::method()

The method reference syntax has already been borrowed from C++.

Also
 if this syntax problem has already been solved in a language that has
already had a heavy influence on Java why not continue the influence a
bit more and avoid the pitfalls of reinventing the wheel?

Cheers,
Karl