List:       openjdk-jmx-dev
Subject:    Re: jmx-dev RFR: 8297794: Deprecate JMX Management Applets for Removal [v3]
From:       Kevin Walls <kevinw () openjdk ! org>
Date:       2022-11-30 20:31:19

On Wed, 30 Nov 2022 17:27:05 GMT, Daniel Fuchs <dfuchs@openjdk.org> wrote:

> > Kevin Walls has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit \
> > since the last revision:
> > Deprecated annotation on the package-private classes
>
> src/java.management/share/classes/javax/management/loading/MLetParser.java line \
> 254:
> > 252:      * Parse the document pointed by the URL urlname
> > 253:      */
> > 254:     @SuppressWarnings({"deprecation", "removal"})
>
> You might have to keep "removal", but I suspect "deprecation" should no longer be \
> necessary, now that this class is deprecated (though I might be wrong).

OK this took me a few rebuilds to figure out:

Before these changes, MLetParser needs the deprecation suppressions, for URL.  If you \
remove that suppression, and you get warnings.

When I make MLetParser itself deprecated for removal, it no longer needs the \
deprecation suppression for URL, but does need suppression of e.g. MLet which is \
tagged for removal.

i.e. in a class marked for removal, we warn you for using other classes marked for \
removal, but not for using others only deprecated (as presumably the removal will \
happen before the simply deprecated class is removed).

So yes we can remove "deprecation" from that line, and only have "removal".  It's \
fine either way.  I can take it out as you've mentioned it.