List:       openjdk-jmx-dev
Subject:    Re: jmx-dev RFR: 8297794: Deprecate JMX Management Applets for Removal [v2]
From:       Kevin Walls <kevinw () openjdk ! org>
Date:       2022-11-30 16:56:23

On Wed, 30 Nov 2022 16:08:23 GMT, Alan Bateman <alanb@openjdk.org> wrote:

> > src/java.management/share/classes/javax/management/loading/MLetObjectInputStream.java \
> > line 43:
> > > 41: class MLetObjectInputStream extends ObjectInputStream {
> > > 42:
> > > 43:     @SuppressWarnings("removal")
> >
> > Shouldn't `MLetObjectInputStream` be deprecated for removal too? I mean - if MLet \
> > was removed - would we need to keep that class? If it were deprecated for removal \
> > too then I suspect that there would be no need to suppress the warning here (and \
> > below).
>
> It's not public so not part of the API, but you may be right that it would reduce \
> the number of places where the warning needs to be suppressed.

I tested making the class MLetParser itself @Deprecated in the same way, and it still \
needs a @SuppressWarnings annotation on the parse(url) method, or it produces 3 \
warnings regarding use of MLetContent. I don't mind adding the deprecation note to \
these two classes to make it clear that these non-public classes are also on the way \
out.