List:       openjdk-jmx-dev
Subject:    Re: jmx-dev Update MXBeans to allow for the possibility that ConstructorProperties is ignored?
From:       Alan Bateman <Alan.Bateman () oracle ! com>
Date:       2013-01-24 12:25:19

On 24/01/2013 07:12, Mandy Chung wrote:

> I'm fine with the proposed spec change and look into the addition of
> javax.management.ConstructorProperties later.   For now, to register
> such a MXBean on a runtime of compact3 profile (without java.beans),
> it will fail with NotCompliantMBeanException that helps diagnosing the
> problem (unless a type can be reconstructed via other rules).
Thanks for the review. This is really just a mismatch between the
compile-time and runtime environments, it would be caught by
compile-time if compiled with "javac -profile compact3". I guess the
only genuine scenario where it might be an issue is where someone runs a
static analyzer over some code and it doesn't see the dependency because
it's an annotation. In that case, it would fail when attempting to
register the object and I hope is wouldn't be too difficult to diagnose
(way back, in preparation for this, I tweaked the "applicable" method so
that the exception is clearer when the annotation is not available).

I've pushed this change to get it out of the way. In the future then it
does need exploring the implications of adding
javax.management.ConstructorProperties. I think we would have an
inconsistency if this were added without corresponding support in
JavaBeans persistence.

-Alan