List:       openjdk-jigsaw-dev
Subject:    Re: Alternative to fatJar - modular solution?
From:       Samuel Audet <samuel.audet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-10-27 14:00:07

Yes, that kind of thing, Mike, thanks for the good example! I'm doing
something very similar with JavaCPP, but at the library level rather
than at the application level.

Ok, Dalibor, I'll try to stay technical, so here's a couple of technical
question I have for at least you and Ioi. There's a lot of tools like
those that bundle JAR files, native libraries, various resources such as
JavaScript and Python scripts, and what not, and that includes Android,
which runs on over 3 billion devices apparently:
https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/18/22440813/android-devices-active-number-smartphones-google-2021
Given that this kind of feature is almost essential to pretty much every
application out there these days, why isn't OpenJDK expending more
effort into the available options to standardize all that?

For example, something cool that Android has started doing recently is
to bundle native libraries uncompressed by default. This allows Linux to
load them--without extracting them--directly from the APK file (which is
just a glorified ubar JAR file for an Android application)! I can see
OpenJDK doing the same thing for bundled JAR files, as Ioi mentioned
earlier, allowing us to scan them without extracting them, right?

That's the kind of thing I'd like to work on, but from what I
understand, it's rather hard to be become part of "OpenJDK" since we
essentially have to become Oracle employees, or something close, handing
over all copyrights... Where does the "community" fit in this?

Samuel