List:       openjdk-jigsaw-dev
Subject:    Re: Jigsaw and containers
From:       dalibor topic <dalibor.topic () oracle ! com>
Date:       2017-08-31 21:42:45

On 31.08.2017 23:05, Daniel Latrémolière wrote:
> This is easy to be seen in containers, where the file system is usually the merge \
> of multiples layers, like described in this image (from Docker [3]): \
> https://docs.docker.com/engine/userguide/storagedriver/images/overlay_constructs.jpg
>  Then having multiple files each with a specified set of modules allow some files \
> to be shared between multiples containers. When we have all modules only in a \
> single file, this file will never be the same between all containers and can never \
> be shared. Then sharing common parts requires to convert non-shared modules in \
> non-optimized modular JAR (blurring target of Jigsaw).

I believe that this behavior can differ from storage driver to storage
driver. OverlayFS works on the file level, while the storage drivers for
ZFS, btrfs, devicemapper etc. seem to work on the block level.

cheers,
dalibor topic

--
<http://www.oracle.com> Dalibor Topic | Principal Product Manager
Phone: +494089091214 <tel:+494089091214> | Mobile: +491737185961

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Kühnehöfe 5 | 22761 Hamburg

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

<http://www.oracle.com/commitment> Oracle is committed to developing
practices and products that help protect the environment