List:       openjdk-jdk7-dev
Subject:    JDK 7 Features.
From:       mlists () juma ! me ! uk (Ismael Juma)
Date:       2009-03-27 10:12:08

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply.

On Thu, 2009-03-26 at 19:38 -0400, Paul Hohensee wrote:
[...]
> It does get turned on when you use -XX:+AggressiveOpts though.
[...]
> AggressiveOpts is our
> catchall flag for performance features that will eventually become the
> default.

Good to know that there are plans to make it on by default. If you look
at the features list for JDK 7:

http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk7/features/

"Compressed 64-bit object pointers" and "Garbage-First GC (G1)" are two
items in the list (both included in JDK 6 Update 14 early access). My
question is, why is Scalar replacement not there? Is it because it's not
deemed important enough (I would disagree with that) or is it because
there is uncertainty whether it will be stable enough for production
usage by the time JDK 7 ships (while there's more certainty for the
others)?

> Scalar replacement (and escape analysis) are on the list.  Anyone want to
> help us out? :)

As far as I am concerned, it would depend on what you guys need help
with. It's safe to say that I would not be able to help much with the
implementation. ;)

I guess that would leave testing and bug reports (on a side-note, it
would be useful to have a wiki page explaining what kind of information
makes it easier to fix bugs caused by new features like this and how to
collect it).

Best,
Ismael