List:       openjdk-jdk6-dev
Subject:    OpenJDK6 B24
From:       kelly.ohair () oracle ! com (Kelly O'Hair)
Date:       2011-11-04 20:51:26

On Nov 4, 2011, at 12:50 PM, Dr Andrew John Hughes wrote:

> On 11:11 Fri 04 Nov     , Kelly O'Hair wrote:
>> I know that we have accepted some non-bulk changesets in the past, and hotspot in openjdk6
>> is a bit unusual. It's not clear to me that we will be getting many more bulk hotspot changes
>> in openjdk6 as hotspot focuses on jdk7 and jdk8.
>
> Well I did these bulk imports in the past and I was intending to do more.
> Erik's mail here: http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/hotspot-dev/2011-October/004645.html
> suggests it's feasible.

Feasible yes, but I'm not sure it's a good idea. If the hotspot changes are not be used in a jdk6
release of any kind, built or tested, then I have no idea what might happen.
Runtime issues might be very difficult to track down.

I've been assuming that stability is a top priority with openjdk6?

> I like the idea of maintaining an OpenJDK6 fork of HotSpot much less.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about it either, just not sure what to do about it.

There are usually very few security related changes to hotspot, hopefully the changes
to hotspot will be very minimal.

> As I've said before, we can't even begin to switch to OpenJDK7 as the
> main JDK until Oracle make the TCK license available.  It also needs
> a lot more testing on real-world apps, and most distros don't even
> carry it yet.

Understood.

-kto