List:       openjdk-jdk6-dev
Subject:    [kelly.ohair@oracle.com: Re: Test Backports]
From:       ahughes () redhat ! com (Andrew John Hughes)
Date:       2010-04-09 0:28:57

On 8 April 2010 21:10, Kelly O'Hair <kelly.ohair at oracle.com> wrote:
> Sorry. My fault.
>
> -kto
>
> On Apr 8, 2010, at 12:57 PM, Andrew John Hughes wrote:
>
>> This discussion seems to have moved off-list... :-(
>>
>> ----- Forwarded message from Kelly O'Hair <kelly.ohair at oracle.com> -----
>>
>> Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 12:00:36 -0700
>> From: Kelly O'Hair <kelly.ohair at oracle.com>
>> To: Joe Darcy <joe.darcy at oracle.com>
>> Subject: Re: Test Backports

>>> Kelly,
>>>
>>> Please review Andrew's backport of 6873059 "Explicitly use -source
>>> 6 -target 6 when compiling with the boot jdk javac" to OpenJDK 6:
>>>
>>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~andrew/6873059/webrev.01/
>>
>> The jdk and corba changes look fine.

Pushed:

http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk6/jdk6/jdk/rev/cca800e22daa
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk6/jdk6/corba/rev/9eeb441e885c

>> For hotspot...
>> I don't know what various javac's will do when the -source and -target
>> options show up twice,
>> and I think where the makefiles are using 1.4 settings, that will
>> happen. Is that ok? Last setting wins?
>>
>> I'm kind of surprised that hotspot used javac -g all over the place,
>> seems needless for
>> normal builds. So I'm happy with the removals of the -g's, but wonder
>> if the default
>> should be no -g at all, or at least isolate the -g option and have it
>> controlled by the
>> same make variables that the jdk uses to control 'javac -g'?
>> And there is still the outstanding issue that hotspot makefiles should
>> really be using the
>> langtools javac to do all it's java compilations, not the boot javac,
>> but that's for another day.
>>
>> I've kind of distanced myself a bit from the hotspot makefiles
>> recently, since they just added
>> back all kinds of jdk5-isms (_g suffix etc.). They pretty much belong
>> to the hotspot team now.

As Joe noted, javac uses the last source specification.  ecj errors
out if multiple source definitions are specified, but we already work
around this with a wrapper in IcedTea.

Are you ok for the HotSpot backport to be pushed?