List:       openjdk-hotspot-runtime-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: 8295872: [PPC64] JfrGetCallTrace: Need pc == nullptr check before frame constructor [v2]
From:       Martin Doerr <mdoerr () openjdk ! org>
Date:       2022-10-31 11:55:39

On Mon, 31 Oct 2022 11:53:38 GMT, Martin Doerr <mdoerr@openjdk.org> wrote:

> > The check pc == nullptr is needed before the frame constructor.
>
> Martin Doerr has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit \
> since the last revision:
> Remove acquire barrier again. The null check is the clean fix.

I've spent more time for understanding the memory ordering aspect and I've come to \
the conclusion, that the acquire barrier from \
[JDK-8290004](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8290004) is not really needed. The \
fields are never read while concurrently modified. They are only read by the current \
thread or when the thread is suspended (or stopped by a signal). So, the pc == null \
check before the frame constructor is a sufficient fix for the profiling usages. An \
unnecessary acquire barrier may be confusing and I think a comment is helpful. Please \
take a 2nd look. Thanks!