List:       openjdk-hotspot-runtime-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: 8264412: AArch64: CPU description should refer DMI [v2]
From:       Yasumasa Suenaga <ysuenaga () openjdk ! java ! net>
Date:       2021-03-31 13:34:16

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 08:45:06 GMT, Andrew Haley <aph@openjdk.org> wrote:

> > Please be more explicit. This is (perhaps obviously?) a workaround for a bug, And \
> > t.his code is itself a bug, because it doesn't check for the condition you care \
> > about. So, please check explicitly for this condition: `\n` only, and nothing \
> > else. And leave a comment explaining why.
>
> One other thing I missed last time around: why is there a permanently-allocated 4k \
> buffer for this code that it only used for jfr?

I pushed new commit with some refactoring.

> Please be more explicit. This is (perhaps obviously?) a workaround for a bug, And \
> t.his code is itself a bug, because it doesn't check for the condition you care \
> about. So, please check explicitly for this condition: \n only, and nothing else. \
> And leave a comment explaining why.

I've done so in new commit.

> One other thing I missed last time around: why is there a permanently-allocated 4k \
> buffer for this code that it only used for jfr?

Some features (e.g. hs_err log, VM.info dcmd) dumps /proc/cpuinfo, so I guess this \
feature is used JFR only now. However CPU description has different information (for \
AArch64 at least), so we might be able to use it in other place, but it is out of \
scope this PR.