List:       openjdk-hotspot-runtime-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR(S) 8214388 CDS dumping fails with java heap fragmentation
From:       Ioi Lam <ioi.lam () oracle ! com>
Date:       2018-11-30 22:41:26

(Resending since my last mail seems to have been mangled)

Hi Jiangli,

Thanks for the review!

Updated webrev:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~iklam/jdk12/8214388-dumptime-fragmentation.v03-delta/

On 11/30/18 1:04 PM, Jiangli Zhou wrote:
> Hi Ioi,
>
> - src/hotspot/share/gc/g1/g1Arguments.cpp
>
> You missed FLAG_SET_ERGO(bool, ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent, false);

As Stefan mentioned below, doing this is not necessary because I have
added a new GC cause.

> - src/hotspot/share/gc/g1/g1CollectedHeap.cpp
>
> - src/hotspot/share/gc/shared/adaptiveSizePolicy.cpp
>
> Above files have no change.

I had multiple MQ patches that cancel each other out. Webrev still
generates an empty diff for those files. Please ignore them.

> - src/hotspot/share/gc/g1/g1HeapVerifier.cpp
>
>   320         log_warning(gc, verify)("All free regions should be at the
> top end of the heap, but "
>   321                                                         " we found holes. This is probably
> caused by (unmovable) humongous"
>   322                                                         " allocations, and may lead to
> fragmentation while"
>   323                                                         " writing archive heap memory
> regions.");
>
> This warning is not very clear and can be false alarming. The hole in
> the middle of the heap causes heap fragmentation, but not necessarily
> in the archived regions. I'd leave the warning out and let the
> existing code in FileMapInfo::write_archive_heap_regions to detect
> archive fragmentation and report error.

This warning is about a *possibility* of fragmentation. It gives the
user a chance to check what's going on, without having to wait for an
actual failure to happen.

In practice, this means if the JDK start-up code is changed in the
future to allocate a humongous array, someone will discover this while
building the JDK and dumping the default archive. That way, we can fix
the JDK to avoid the use of humongous arrays.

In fact, I just modified the code to warn against humongous regions even
if no holes are found.

> - src/hotspot/share/gc/shared/gcCause.cpp
>
> I'd suggest renaming _cds_dump to _archive_time_gc. The word 'archive'
> has been adapted to be used in GC code.
>
> - src/hotspot/share/memory/filemap.cpp

Done

> I see no change for line 686?
>
> - src/hotspot/share/memory/heapShared.cpp

A space character is missing after the word "fragmentation."

> Please revert the renaming for
> HeapShared::check_closed_archive_heap_region_object.
> HeapShared::check_closed_archive_heap_region_object_class is not
> correct. We check the objects in the graph, not the classes. It's
> better to use a separate bug and changeset for the bug fix in this
> function. So it's not mixed with the change for 8214388 for better
> back-tracking.

I'll revert the whole change and create a new bug.

I found the name check_closed_archive_heap_region_object confusing
because it says "object" but passes a class. I think it's better to pass
the object, and then have this function read the class from the object.
I'll send a separate RFR.

> - src/hotspot/share/memory/metaspaceShared.cpp
>
> The G1 specific code needs to be wrapped with #if INCLUDE_G1GC.
>
> 391                     log_warning(cds)("[line %d] extra interned string
> ignored; size too large: %d",
> 392                                                       reader.last_line_no(), utf8_length);
>
> You can use cds+heap for object archiving related logging.

Done

> - 1718         if (UseG1GC &&
> HeapShared::is_heap_object_archiving_allowed()) {
>
> As Stefan also pointed out, you don't need UseG1GC check here.
> HeapShared::is_heap_object_archiving_allowed already includes it.

Fixed

> G1HeapVerifier::verify_ready_for_archiving() is called into two
> places. One is in HeapShared::archive_java_heap_objects and the other
> one is in HeapShared::archive_java_heap_objects. The duplication
> should be eliminated.

I removed the one inside metaspaceShared.cpp

> I also have the question for the need for
> G1HeapVerifier::verify_ready_for_archiving(). As there is already more
> efficient check in FileMapInfo::write_archive_heap_regions to detect
> fragmented archive regions, verify_ready_for_archiving does not add
> additional values. It's also a more expensive check.

It's suppose to provide better logging for diagnosing future
fragmentations (much easier to read than tracing all the gc+region
logs.). I don't know about you, but for me trying to find out why
fragmentation happened in JDK-8214217 was pretty damn tedious!

It's not expensive at all since it just scans the list of regions once.

Thanks

- Ioi

> [...]
>>> Hi Ioi,
>>>
>>> I mostly looked at the GC interaction, some comments below.

>>> src/hotspot/share/gc/g1/g1CollectedHeap.cpp
>>>   325 #if INCLUDE_CDS
>>>   326     if (DumpSharedSpaces &&
>>> HeapShared::is_heap_object_archiving_allowed()) {
>>>   327         // See G1HeapVerifier::verify_ready_for_archiving()
>>>   328         // This should not happen during normal operation of
>>> -Xshare:dump, so let's give a warning.
>>>   329         log_warning(gc)("Avoid allocating humongous objects during
>>> -Xshare:dump (" SIZE_FORMAT
>>>   330                                         " bytes) - may cause fragmentation",
>>>   331                                         word_size * HeapWordSize);
>>>   332     }
>>>   333 #endif
>>>
>>> I think this warning should be left out, you still have output in
>>> the verification that tells the user what is problematic.
>>>

>> Removed.
>>
>>> /src/hotspot/share/gc/g1/g1HeapVerifier.cpp
>>> What do you think about extending the verification with one more
>>> state, maybe _fatal_hole. When iterating the regions you can then
>>> look for holes not caused by humongous. If such holes are found log
>>> an error and fail.
>>>
>>> You can then turn the current log_error into a log_warning letting
>>> the user know there has been humongous allocations which can cause
>>> problems during dump time.
>>>
>>>   314     // turn on the following assert only if we disallow humongous
>>> allocations during
>>>   315     // dump time.
>>>   316     //assert(!cl.has_holes(), "must not have holes");
>>>
>>> I think you should remove these lines.
>>>

>> I modified the verification loop as you suggested, and changed the
>> assert to check that all holes must be caused by humongous regions.
>>
>>> src/hotspot/share/gc/shared/adaptiveSizePolicy.cpp
>>>   184 #if INCLUDE_CDS
>>>   185     if (DumpSharedSpaces &&
>>> HeapShared::is_heap_object_archiving_allowed()) {
>>>   186         // See G1HeapVerifier::verify_ready_for_archiving()
>>>   187         return 1;
>>>   188     }
>>>   189 #endif
>>>   190
>>>
>>> I think this decision should be moved to the g1 argument parsing. In
>>> G1Arguments::initialize() you can add this after the initial setting
>>> of ParallelGCThreads.
>>>
>>>    // When dumping the CDS archive we want to reduce fragmentation by
>>>    // triggering a full collection. To get as low fragmentation as
>>>    // possible we only use one worker thread.
>>>    if (DumpSharedSpaces) {
>>>        FLAG_SET_ERGO(uint, ParallelGCThreads, 1);
>>>        FLAG_SET_ERGO(bool, ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent, false);
>>>    }
>>>

>> Done.
>>
>>> As you see I also include setting ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent to
>>> false, because if that flag is set a full gc will be turned into a
>>> concurrent one.
>>>
>>> src/hotspot/share/memory/metaspaceShared.cpp
>>> 1707         if (UseG1GC &&
>>> HeapShared::is_heap_object_archiving_allowed()) {
>>> 1708             // Avoid fragmentation while archiving heap objects.
>>> 1709
>>> Universe::heap()->soft_ref_policy()->set_should_clear_all_soft_refs(true);
>>> 1710 Universe::heap()->collect(GCCause::_java_lang_system_gc);
>>> 1711
>>> Universe::heap()->soft_ref_policy()->set_should_clear_all_soft_refs(false);
>>> 1712             G1HeapVerifier::verify_ready_for_archiving();
>>> 1713         }