List:       openjdk-hotspot-runtime-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR(S): 8198608: Improvements to command-line flags printing
From:       David Holmes <david.holmes () oracle ! com>
Date:       2018-02-28 22:26:27

Hi Lutz,

On 24/02/2018 2:48 AM, Schmidt, Lutz wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> may I please request reviews for this small enhancement:
>
> Bug:     https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8198608
> Webrev:  http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~lucy/webrevs/8198608.00/
>
> The code in Flag::print_on() so far wasn't very easy to understand. Changing the \
> layout of what was printed required some deep thinking. I hope that, with my \
> changes, future modifications will be easier.
> The before/after output of -XX:+PrintFlagsFinal is identical, except for those \
> argument names which are longer than expected. In that case, the new version prints \
> one space less, which is by intention.

This all seems okay - and easier to modify further if needed.

Two minor comments:

  576     // Flag::print_on(...) redesign (!print_ranges)

Isn't this the print_ranges case? But in any case not sure a comment
with "redesign" in it is that meaningful given you can't see the old design.

Does the ccstr newline handling work on all platforms (ie Windows) - I'm
never sure when it suffices to check for '\n' and when we have to check
for the platform specific line terminators.

Thanks,
David