List:       openjdk-hotspot-runtime-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR(S) 8186770: NMT: Report metadata information in NMT summary
From:       Zhengyu Gu <zgu () redhat ! com>
Date:       2017-08-29 16:31:14

>> *committed* belongs to *reserved*
>> *used* is part of *capacity*
>>
>> but free chunks and available do not relate to each other.
> Ok, I can see where you are coming from now. However, while you are
> right that used is part of capacity you can also consider it true that
> free_chunks, available and waste belong to/are part of capacity. Those
> four figures constitute four different components of the total capacity.
> Perhaps something like this might make that clearer?
>
>                             (  Metadata:                            )
>                             (    reserved=22528KB,  committed=21504KB)
>                             (    capacity=21327KB,  used=20654KB)
>                             (                       free chunks=113KB)
>                             (                       available=0KB)
>                             (                       waste = 560KB = 2.6%)

Okay, I see what you mean. But in this case, capacity = committed.

I wonder if it is cleaner that just reports free, used and waste, e.g.

                          (  Metadata:                            )
                          (    reserved=22528KB,  committed=21504KB)
                          (    used=20654KB)
                          (    free=786KBKB)
                          (    waste=64KB =0.30%)

where free = (capacity - used) + free_chunks + available
       waste = committed - capacity - free_chunks - available
       total = committed

Thanks,

-Zhengyu