List:       openjdk-hotspot-runtime-dev
Subject:    Re: (M) RFR: 8081800: AbstractMethodError when evaluating a private method in an interface via debug
From:       Coleen Phillimore <coleen.phillimore () oracle ! com>
Date:       2016-09-30 20:55:01

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dholmes/8081800/webrev.hotspot/src/share/vm/oops/klassVtable.cpp.udiff.html

+ assert(!mh()->is_private(), "private interface method in the default
method list");

Nit, don't need mh() parentheses.  methodHandle has an operator ->

+ // private methods in classes always have a new entry in the vtable.
+ // Specification interpretation since classic has private methods not
overriding.

What does this mean exactly?   Does it mean that we add private methods
to the vtable but we don't have to because they do not override other
private methods?   Why is this compatible with classic?   I know this is
something pre-existing but could you clarify the comment since you
touched it?

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dholmes/8081800/webrev.hotspot/src/share/vm/oops/method.cpp.udiff.html

+ // private methods in classes get vtable entries for backward class
compatibility.

This is a bit more clear, and it's not important why.  Is this something
that can be cleaned up in future release?  If so, it would be good to
have the explanation in an RFE.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dholmes/8081800/webrev.hotspot/test/runtime/RedefineTests/RedefineInterfaceMethods.java.html

Thank you for adding this test.

You other test looks good.