List:       openjdk-hotspot-runtime-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR (s) 8069005: Hotspot crashes in System.out.println with assert(resolved_method->method_holde
From:       David Holmes <david.holmes () oracle ! com>
Date:       2015-04-30 5:57:36

Didn't see this until after Reviewing the original patch ...

On 29/04/2015 5:07 AM, Coleen Phillimore wrote:

> On 4/28/15, 2:20 PM, Aleksey Shipilev wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 28.04.2015 21:02, Coleen Phillimore wrote:
>>> jvm
>>>
>>> I tested this manually with the case in the bug.  I don't know how to
>>> add such a test without -Xbootclasspath:/a .  Also ran
>>> vm.quick.testlist, vm.defmeth.testlist and hotspot jtreg tests to make
>>> sure this doesn't break anything.
>>>
>>> See bug for full discussion.
>>>
>>> open webrev at http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~coleenp/8069005/
>>> bug link https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8069005
>> This looks similar to:
>>   https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8078653
>>
>> Does the fix also addresses it?
>
> No, it doesn't.   This case is that an agent has caused the
> initialization of java.lang.Thread before the JVM has completed
> initializations that it needs (like java.lang.String).  There's not much
> we can do but give a better error message.
>
> I think I will rework my change so that we get an exception at this
> point (if possible) and this case has motivated that.

Will wait to see what the looks like, but most (all?) the cases of this
I have encountered have been caused by trying to throw an exception
before the VM is capable of doing that - as all the necessary classes
have not yet been linked.

David