List:       openjdk-hotspot-runtime-dev
Subject:    Re: Unsafe.park/unpark, j.u.c.LockSupport and Thread
From:       Doug Lea <dl () cs ! oswego ! edu>
Date:       2015-02-11 11:33:05

On 02/10/2015 08:46 PM, David Holmes wrote:
> This time really adding Doug Lea :)

I don't have very strong opinions about this. Placing
park/unpark in Thread was our initial (circa 2000)
proposal, so in that sense it's ideal, and in principle
easily done by relaying LockSupport.{park/unpark} to Thread.
But we have over time also exploited the current setup
in a couple of cases to independently deal with Unsafe
access to park and parkBlockers. These can be changed,
although doing so while remaining performance-neutral
will take some thought. (Which is similar to all the
other cases where we'd like to replace Unsafe usages
with VarHandles etc. I'm trying to keep up the attitude
that this is not merely a nuisance, but an opportunity to
revisit and improve implementations :-)

Logistically, we'll somehow cope: At some point our main 166
sources will need to be split into jdk8 vs jdk9 versions.

-Doug