List:       openjdk-hotspot-runtime-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR (L/S) manual cleanup of white space issues (8057109)
From:       "Daniel D. Daugherty" <daniel.daugherty () oracle ! com>
Date:       2014-09-09 20:53:40

On 9/9/14 1:36 PM, Coleen Phillimore wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> In general, doing things like whitespace cleanups makes merging new
> fixes that need to be backported for some more difficult, but it
> appears that the cleanups that you've chosen not interfere with
> backports of components other than the locking subsystems.  So I like
> this change.

Thanks! The other fix (8057107) and this fix (8057109) should
be the last of the large cleanups motivated by the Contended
Locking project. I have to say that cleaning this stuff, while
it turned out to be more difficult than I expected, will be
worth it down the road...

> The only exception to these changes that I think might interfere with
> other changes to other components:
>
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dcubed/8057109-webrev/1-jdk9-hs-rt/src/share/vm/runtime/thread.cpp.udiff.html \
>

> -    jint res = Atomic::cmpxchg(strong_roots_parity, &_oops_do_parity,
> thread_parity);
> +    jint res = Atomic::cmpxchg(strong_roots_parity, &_oops_do_parity,
> +                               thread_parity);

Reverted lines 787-8.

> -void JavaThread::oops_do(OopClosure* f, CLDClosure* cld_f,
> CodeBlobClosure* cf) {
> +void JavaThread::oops_do(OopClosure* f, CLDClosure* cld_f,
> +                         CodeBlobClosure* cf) {

Reverted lines 2666-7.

> -void CompilerThread::oops_do(OopClosure* f, CLDClosure* cld_f,
> CodeBlobClosure* cf) {
> +void CompilerThread::oops_do(OopClosure* f, CLDClosure* cld_f,
> +                             CodeBlobClosure* cf) {

Reverted lines 3189-90.

> -void Threads::possibly_parallel_oops_do(OopClosure* f, CLDClosure*
> cld_f, CodeBlobClosure* cf) {
> +void Threads::possibly_parallel_oops_do(OopClosure* f, CLDClosure*
> cld_f,
> +                                        CodeBlobClosure* cf) {

Reverted lines 4061-2.

> -  assert(!is_par ||
> -         (SharedHeap::heap()->n_par_threads() ==
> -         SharedHeap::heap()->workers()->active_workers()), "Mismatch");
> +  assert(!is_par || (SharedHeap::heap()->n_par_threads() ==
> + SharedHeap::heap()->workers()->active_workers()),
> +                     "Mismatch");

Reverted lines 4073-75.

> These might interfere with GC changes and these are really only to fit
> the line into 80 columns which, even though it's mine and your
> preference, isn't part of the coding standard.
>
> So I think these 5 should be reverted.

While I tend to think of src/share/vm/runtime/thread.cpp
as belonging to the Runtime team, These are clearly GC
related code so I reverted those changes.

> The rest look great.

Thanks!

Dan