List:       openjdk-hotspot-runtime-dev
Subject:    Question about "6961186: Better VM handling of unexpected exceptions from application native code"
From:       David.Holmes () oracle ! com (David Holmes)
Date:       2011-06-30 10:13:46

Hi Volker,

Volker Simonis said the following on 06/29/11 18:26:
> recently the bug "6961186: Better VM handling of unexpected exceptions
> from application native code" has been fixed but the fix only applies
> for Windows and Solaris platforms.
> While the bug evaluation at
> http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=6961186 mentions that the fix
> for Solaris and Linux would be the same (i.e. using set_terminate to
> catch uncaught C++ exceptions), the fix was apparently not implemented
> for Linux.
>
> Has the Linux fix been omitted intentionally or accidentally?

As I understand it, while the suggested fix should work for Linux we
actually don't link with the C++ library on Linux that provides this
API, and we did not want to start doing so for an obscure problem that
hasn't even been reported on Linux. For Linux the error is apparently
much clearer even without additional handling by the VM.

The problems we've seen here have predominantly been on Windows. Solaris
was included as it was trivial to do so.

David Holmes