List:       openjdk-hotspot-runtime-dev
Subject:    Request for review (S) 7009828: Fix for 6938627 breaks visualvm monitoring when -Djava.io.tmpdir is
From:       Alan.Bateman () oracle ! com (Alan Bateman)
Date:       2011-01-13 10:27:35

David Holmes wrote:
> :
> Understood but we're still left in a situation where it is unclear
> what "components" will put what files where and whether it can, or
> should be definable by the user.
>
> The CRs that motivated 6938627 are effectively all re-opened.

Yep, these issues need to be re-examined. As I recall, the motivation
for the relatively recent change was when porting to platforms that
didn't use /tmp and for that case it's probably best to deal with it as
a porting time issue. As regards where the files go, this is currently
something private to the specific mechanism, meaning the VM and tool/API
side of jvmstat have to agree, the VM and tool/API side to the attach
mechanism have a different agreement. It's unfortunate but difficult to
change to a different means to locate and/or register endpoints, at
least not without providing some backward compatibility and work with
the HSX model.

-Alan.