List:       openjdk-hotspot-runtime-dev
Subject:    HOARD
From:       Dave.Dice () Sun ! COM (Dave Dice)
Date:       2007-12-20 18:51:16

Hi Ramki,

Hoard is perfectly good allocator, and as you noted, you can use LD_PRELOAD to
enable it.  (IIRC, hoard.org provides SPARC .so-es for download, so it's nearly
painless to try).   At various times I've tried it with hotspot and it behaved
well.  The latest version uses per-thread subheaps, so there's no
synchronization (contended or uncontended) for "normal" allocation and
deallocation.  Normal being defined as the case where the same thread that
allocates a block also frees the block.  If on Solaris, however, I'd recommend
libumem in slight preference over hoard.  Libumem is fully supported and tuned
specifically for solaris.   Libumem and hoard share many concepts, the key being
the use of subheaps to diffuse contention and to avoid false sharing.  They both
suffer from increased footprint, however, at least as compared to the default
allocators.  The Lea allocator (the default on linux) and the solaris libc
allocator (based on Tarjan trees augmented with segregated free lists for common
small sizes) use a common heap and a global local.  They both have excellent
footprint and heap density.

Beyond footprint, the only problem I've ever run into with hoard or libumem was
a red-black tree where various threads were adding and removing nodes on MP
systems.  Over time the traversal from the root to the leaves ended up touching
nodes allocated by different threads, and thus in different subheaps, and thus
covered by different (small page) TLBs.  (You get the picture (:>)).

Regards
Dave

p.s., really old JVMs use the __malloc_lock around thread suspension to avoid
deadlock, in which case you can't substitute allocators.