List:       openjdk-hotspot-gc-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: 8030646: Track collection set membership in one place
From:       Kim Barrett <kim.barrett () oracle ! com>
Date:       2015-01-30 22:53:10

On Jan 26, 2015, at 6:02 AM, Erik Helin <erik.helin@oracle.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> this (rather) small patch removes the field
> HeapRegion::_in_collection_set and instead only uses the
> G1BiasedMappedArray G1CollectedHeap::_in_cset_fast_test to track
> collection set membership. Given that _in_cset_fast_test already track
> collection set membership, the _in_collection_set field in HeapRegion is
> redundant, it is only messy to keep track of this information in two
> places.
>
> Patch:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ehelin/8030646/webrev.00/
>
> Issue:

Coming in late:

In the comments for JDK-8027959
Early reclamation of large objects in G1

Thomas said:

> Putting the humongous objects (even temporarily) into the collection
> set gives issues with remembered set updates not occurring any more.
>
> Current prototype changes in_cset_fast_test to include humongous
> objects (

There are no issues with remembered set updates when temporarily
putting the humongous object into the _in_cset_fast_test collection
set test because during rset update we use the _in_collection_set
member of the heapregion, not the in_cset_fast_test.

But this proposed change for JDK-8030646
https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/
Track collection set membership in one place

would eliminate _in_collection_set in favor of always using
in_cset_fast_test.  That would seem to break an assumption on which
the earlier JDK-8027959 change is based.