List:       openjdk-hotspot-gc-dev
Subject:    Re: Deallocating memory pages
From:       Hiroshi Yamauchi <yamauchi () google ! com>
Date:       2013-02-21 23:42:04

Hi Clemens,

> This is really unfourtunate, from my POV especially for client-side workloads.
> On the desktop, footprint is often more important than
> peak-performance, especially when running many java based desktop
> applications.
> (although I have to admit CMS doesn't make a lot of sence there).

I am inclined to agree with that. Re: CMS, I'm curious, does CMS not
work well for client-side apps?

> What I find so intriguing about this patch is that it basically
> reduces one of the drawbacks of GC based systems: Unused memory is not
> given back to the memory manager of the OS. I've recently read a paper
> about the idea of a GC interface provided by the kernel to avoid this
> issue, but this patch essentially achieves the same just by using
> existing interfaces.

Interesting.

BTW, would anyone like to try out this patch and give feedback? It's
at http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~hiroshi/webrevs/dhp/webrev.00 (which is
currently Linux/CMS only and needs to be patched into
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/hsx/hotspot-gc/hotspot/ and built).