List:       openjdk-hotspot-gc-dev
Subject:    Question about MemoryService class.
From:       Y.S.Ramakrishna () Sun ! COM (Y Srinivas Ramakrishna)
Date:       2009-02-08 0:11:17

[I am cross-posting on to the hotspot-gc-dev list, since
that's likely where this discussion belongs; i'll bcc
the hotspot-dev list on this response, so interested folk can
follow the discussion on the former list.]

Sorry about the cryptic note.
G1 is short-hand (within HotSpot circles) of
the "Garbage-First Garbage Collector" which was
checked into the open jdk repos a few months ago.
For related background, see:-

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1029879

@inproceedings{1029879,
 author = {Detlefs,, David and Flood,, Christine and Heller,, Steve and Printezis,, \
Tony},  title = {Garbage-first garbage collection},
 booktitle = {ISMM '04: Proceedings of the 4th international symposium on Memory \
management},  year = {2004},
 isbn = {1-58113-945-4},
 pages = {37--48},
 location = {Vancouver, BC, Canada},
 doi = {http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1029873.1029879},
 publisher = {ACM},
 address = {New York, NY, USA},
 }

I am thinking that the latitude allowed by the basic
collection set mechanism and the ability to collect an
arbitrary collection set at specific points,
should, in principle, allow a range of policies
for the choice of specific collection sets at specific
times, allowing one to simulate, in effect, an arbitrary
n-generation system by means of segregating objects into
collection sets by age. Much handwaving here; and,
as usual, the devil's in the details... so consider this
loud thinking about possible approaches, rather than
concrete direction.

over and out.
-- ramki